currently has a dependency on software available at nextanalytics.com

Coordinator
May 17, 2008 at 10:01 AM
Edited May 19, 2008 at 6:25 PM
"Initial Version" currently links to a commercial software package that's free for Developers, available for a free download at nextanalytics.com.  You will not be bombarded by email to attend "training" or to pay for "support packages".  Instead, you will get plentiful free support and training and, if you use the software for commercial purposes, you are asked to send $595/year to nextanalytics corporation.  We think this is the preferable business model. With this approach, a user of open source gets what they need: open source code so that they can modify the parts of the interface that relates to their environment.

Some other people prefer that software they use should be free and that there should be no dependency on something that isn't completely free. If you are one of these kinds of people, I invite you to modify the open source code to remove that dependency.   Put some effort behind your philosophies, talk is cheap.  You are getting free software, so contribute.  As the coordinator, I suggest the best way to remove the dependency is to modify the software to read an xml file.  XML will give you sufficient metadata to do useful things with the data.   This is probably only a few days of programming and no doubt you'll sleep better at night having relieved yourself of a dependency on a (gasp) commercial product.  I am not incented to do this, but you are free to do it, if you want.